10 Awesome Cosplay Facts you might not know
10 awesome cosplay facts you might not know
- Some accounts say that there were cosplayers at the first World Science Fiction Convention, in 1939 and not just for men as you might expect from that time. Women have always been involved, both making costumes and wearing them, just going to show that like sci-fi we are the future
- Thanks to films like Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2 and Deadpool cosplay vigilantes have become a thing, and people are calling them the new superheroes. We are now wearing costumes to become the people who wore costumes to not be recognized by the bad guys out of costume to bring justice. If you can wrap your head around that, maybe you can be a cosplay vigilante?
- The biggest cosplay this year at Comicon was Rey from Star Wars, and you can even get into duos with cosplayers on tick tok – lets get Reylo!
- There are three general categories of cosplayers (although we can list hundreds more). The main three are those who dress up like imaginary characters, those who dress up like real life professionals in uniform play and those who create their own costumes or OCs
- Did you know that “layer” is the Japanese slang word for “cosplayer”? Sounds a little more hentai than we think they meant… or not. Could just be a little ecchi. You can always get layer support. Don’t be filthy, it means services designed specifically for cosplay costumes to be worn in like maid cafes
- Takahashi Nobuyuki first coined the term “cosplay” after attending Worldcon in Los Angeles. He was attending as a reporter and manga publisher
- In 1999, the first cosplay cafe opened in Akihabra, Tokyo, with many more following it
- In 2003, the first World Cosplay Summit was held in Nagoya, Japan and still runs today
- The first recorded cosplay before the term was coined was in 1908 when Mr. and Mrs. William Fell, a Cincinnati, Ohio couple, attended a masquerade ball in costumes. Their outfits were said to be depicting Mr. Skygack and Miss Pickles, who were martians from a newspaper comic.
- Tomoaki Kohguchi is a 66-year-old cosplayer from Hiroshima, Japan, who is known for dressing up as older characters like Master Roshi from Dragonball Z and has no desire to stop. We thing he is as legendary as Shenron and Porunga!